Job title - Packaging Assistant
Wiper and True is a small, fast growing brewery, based in St Werburghs, Bristol. While wishing to stay relatively small, our aim is to create an international reputation for the quality of our beer.
You may have seen our distinctive branding in many of Bristol and Bath’s best bars and restaurants. We also have national distribution ranging from craft beer specialists to Michelin star restaurants and we export our beer to several countries.
This growth means we need to increase the capacity of the Brewery team and are looking for someone to join us as a part time Packaging Assistant.
Packaging Assistants report to the Head Brewer, but the majority of their daily tasks are set by the Pack Lead Brewer.
A Packaging Assistant will keep packaging operations flowing smoothly and properly, helping out with a wide range of tasks, which will vary from day to day. Adhering to a quality control system and standard operating procedures will be a focus for this position. You will process raw materials, packaging materials and chemicals.
A Packaging Assistant is expected to support the Pack Lead Brewer on kegging and bottling days. There are also general maintenance tasks that a Packaging Assistant is expected to be competent in and carry out from time to time.
Specific duties include (but are not limited to):
- Following guidance from the Pack Lead Brewer, helping set up for a packaging day, including:
⁃ preparing packaging materials
⁃ clearing space in the working area and preparing ancillary materials and equipment
⁃ setting up the bottle labeller and bottling line
⁃ setting up for keg filling
- Helping to carry out a packaging day, including:
⁃ Filling and stacking kegs
⁃ Loading bottles onto the line
⁃ Filling and stacking boxes
⁃ Operating the bottling line and bottle labeller
- Helping with clean-down after a packaging day, including:
⁃ Labelling and putting away beer, ancillary materials and equipment
⁃ Clearing and rinsing down the bottling line and corridor
⁃ Clearing and cleaning all packaging areas and other areas used during the day, including the bar and kitchen
- Abiding by a HACCP system to maintain standards of Food Safety, Food Quality and Personal Safety
- Following and maintaining the use of standard operating procedures - unless otherwise instructed - to meet quality specifications and ensure proper packaging operations
- Abiding by a Quality Management system, whereby all beers are tested against various specifications throughout production.
- Operation, cleaning and maintenance of packaging equipment in a safe and efficient manner
- Maintaining the cleanliness of various areas of the York Street site, including around the outside of the building
- Abiding by a Stock Control system
- Arriving to each shift on time with a positive attitude
· Good communication skills
· Ability to work well in a team, both following instructions and working together to problem solve and get the job done
· Excellent timekeeping skills and reliability
· Calm, professional and beer quality focused
· Willing to embrace a physically demanding job and one that features repetitive tasks
· Great attention to detail, with high personal standards
· Collaborative, responsible and accountable
· Organised and efficient
· Passionate about beer, food and flavours
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
While not essential requirements, it would be great if you had:
· A keen interest in brewing
· Experience in a similar or related field
· IBD Fundamentals in Brewing or Packaging level or equivalent
· A basic understanding of using word processing, spreadsheets and particular programs for brewery functions
The role would suit a sociable person who likes the fact that tasting and talking about beer is ‘work’ and would like to join a small close-knit team.
Location: St Werburghs, Bristol
Hours: 9am - 5pm, two days per week on a Tuesday and Thursday
Salary: Bristol Living Wage £8.75/hour
Duration: This part time job is for a fixed term of six months
How to apply
Please send your CV along with a brief cover email explaining why you are interested in the role to: Francesca at email@example.com. Please specify in the subject of the email that you are applying for the job of Packaging Assistant.
Closing date for applications: 23rd January 2018
Interviews: likely to be held on 26th January 2018